Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Am I too serious about my fitness?


Well as many as you may know, aside from being a career police officer and international adviser, I am also a certified personal trainer. So many of the articles I write are fitness related. I see my time spent in other countries as a chance to reach my peak fitness level. As many of us know, that is sometimes a huge challenge. Some missions/duties provide us with great gyms and good healthy foods, while many leave us alone with barely enough food to survive.  If this sounds familiar to you, how did you cope? Did you just ignore health and throw caution to the wind or did you focus on your goal and gut it out no matter what?

While I was in Sudan, I was faced with the frustration of having to struggle to stay in shape. I loved my job and really enjoyed the people I was working with but food and fitness situation had a lot to be desired. I had only a bench with about 250lbs. worth of weight, 1 – 1 inch diameter bar and a couple of small ones for dumbbells. I was confined to space not much larger than that room needed to hold the bench. My food choices weren’t much better. Everyone else in my camp ate whatever and whenever but with me being strict and dedicated it was a little different. We had to beg for meat to be brought to us once a month or so and had to make regular trips out to the market area for things like eggs, onions etc. Fruits and vegetables were NOT available about 90% of the time in our region. I basically ate the same things over and over for 6 months. It wasn’t easy but it was my choice and I stuck by it.

So how does everyone else do it? One thing I do is go prepared. I take my P90X and bands with me to each mission, just in case I don’t have anything else to work with. I load my suitcase with vitamins, supplements, protein powder and whatever else I need.  I remember in Sudan, dragging my duffel bag, which I loaded with 3 cases of water, around after my workout for a nice added burn.

So I am interested in hearing what everyone else does. Am I just the freak that does this or am I the norm?

No comments:

Post a Comment