Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Are you fitness motivated during your mission time?


There is one thing that kind of bugs me about living in mission. Well, actually more than one thing but for the purpose of this article, we will say 1 thing.J.  When I am in mission I take the opportunity to get into the best physical condition I can. I see it as a chance to focus my energy (negative or positive) on being productive toward something that will not only benefit my future well being but also help keep me alive in the present. I will admit that it sometimes takes a huge amount of drive to do this but once you get that train too moving, it gets easier. Now, I understand that this is easier said than done in some situations.

When I was in Kosovo we had a nice little gym. It was tiny but it had what we needed and served its purpose. In Afghanistan, our FOB (forward operating base) had a makeshift gym that was part weights with few “homemade” pieces and a few treadmills. It worked very well but sometimes there just wasn’t enough to go around. I appreciated and respected the fact that MANY felt the way I did, and saw staying in shape was a good way to prolong their life (especially in a hostile environment). On the opposite side of that spectrum was Southern Sudan. Apparently fitness was NOT a concern and most of the people around me thought it to be pointless. While in Southern Sudan I had VERY LITTLE to work with, so as I always did, I went prepared. Each time I go into a new country, not knowing what type of workout facilities will be available; I take by workout bands and my P90X set. P90x really hit the spot for a good workout to start my day out with.

I know this might be an abrupt end to the story but tell me how you stay in shape while in mission. Is it a priority?

No comments:

Post a Comment